|1820 - Missouri Compromise.
1821 - Statehood for Missouri.
1825 - Osage Indians are removed from the lands that will become Jackson County.
1826 - On December 15th, the county of Jackson was formed. At this time it
encompassed nearly 100 miles in length.
1827 - David Butterfield built a cabin between present day Greenwood and Lone Jack.
1829 - Isaac Dunaway established a claim and made improvements on ground just to
the SE of Lone Jack. Other early settlers included the Crisp, Graham, Powell,
Webb, Austin, Brown and Hawkins families.
1831 - A Baptist Church formed and the congregation met in members homes.
1832 - James "Squire" Bridges built the first cabin in Lone Jack.
1833 - The first subscription school was held and taught by Mr. Patterson.
1835/36 - Snow School was built.
1836 - A log store was built by Thomas Beattie at the crossroads.
1837 - On June 20th, Bettie Snow died and was buried on the property of her uncle,
John Snow. He gave an acre of land to the town for a cemetery to safeguard
her final resting place.
1837 - The Methodist Church was chartered.
1837/38 - The Baptists built a log meeting house. They named this church Pleasant
1839/40 - The Christian Church was organized.
1839 - Warham Easley organized the first post office.
1840 - Nathan Hunt built a mill to the west of town.
1841 - Just south of the existing town, "New Town" was platted by Warham Easley.
1841 - A sawmill of tread-wheel design was built near the town by Stephen Easley. It
was later sold to Noah Hunt.
1842 - The Free Public School opened in town.
1842 - A large colony of people from North Carolina and Tennessee settled in the
1845 - A proposal to start a new county named, Donelson County was initiated. Lone
Jack was to be the county seat. The move failed by one vote in the state
1849 - A large frame meeting house was erected by the Baptist Church, six hundred
yards to the NE of the crossroads.
1853/54 - A Woman's Christian Temperance Union was formed. Membership was
200-250 women in its peak years.
1858 - Dr. E. D. Porter started a private seminary west of the crossroads on land that
today the old high school sits. His residence is reportedly just to the west of
the school building.
1859/60 - Dr. E. D. Porter built a steam powered mill ½ mile west of the crossroads.
1854 - 1861 - The War began for Lone Jack during the border disputes that erupted along
the Kansas/Missouri state line.
1862 - The Battle of Lone Jack took place, August 16th. 806 Federal Troops and
1,500 to 3,000 Confederate troops fought in the town square for five hours.
It was a Confederate victory.
1863 - General Thomas Ewing issued General Order #11, depopulating Jackson,
Cass, Bates, & Vernon Counties. Lone Jack residents had 15 days to leave
the county. Six Lone Jack men were killed by Kansas troops as they were
packing to leave.